Board of Directors
Chairman and Managing Director
Pramod Saxena,a Chemical Engineer from IIT-Roorkee, worked in various capacities spanning over 42 years and was associated with DCM Group, Essar Group and Motorola. His rich and varied experience spans Telecom, BPO, Steel, Petro Chemicals & Fertilizer industries where he had held lead responsibilities for Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), setting up green field projects, Joint Ventures (J&V) and managing business operations in India & abroad.
In the early stages of his career, Pramod was involved in various operations management and project monitoring & controls as a lead in the headquarter of the CMD's office for the biggest fertilizer, chemical and petrochemical company, DCM, in India from 1976 to 1987. Projects included a unique waste based cement plant, expansions of PVC & caustic soda plants and a captive power plant
As part of Senior Management team of Essar Group for over 10 years, Pramod had been responsible for:
- Setting- up of a 4.0 Mil Ton Iron Ore Pelletization project at Vizag
- M & A for a textile mill in Mauritius
- 1 Billion US dollar LBO deal for 100 million US $ (33%) equity for Essar Group in privatization of Italian State Steel Company (ILVA) in 1992-93
- Setting-up of the first Cellular Mobile business in India “Essar Cellphone” joint venture with Swiss Telecom for North India footprint covering Delhi/NCR, Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Punjab and Rajasthan
- Acquisition and management of BPL cellular business and its transition to Hutch Essar JV
- Management of Aegis BPO business in USA/India during its initial years of operation
- CEO of the Chairman's Office to assist on Essar group operations and controls in Steel, Shipping, Oil & Telecom
As President (Continental India) for Motorola Inc. from 1998 – 2004, led Motorola to be the leading cellular (GSM & CDMA) infrastructure provider in the region with 40% share of the market and many fold growth in the revenues. Provided leadership to all Motorola businesses in countries covering Continental India .
Played key role in the telecom industry having Co-Chaired FICCI's Telecom Committee for many years and contributed liberally towards corporate social responsibility, health and education causes.
Pramod's main entrepreneurial venture, Oxigen, pioneered the digital micro payments industry, which he leads himself. Pramod founded Oxigen Services (India) Pvt. Ltd. in 2004 (formerly known as 'India Prepaid Services Pvt. Ltd), and he presently serves as its Chairman and Managing Director. In the past the company received investment from Citi Venture Capital (USA) and Microsoft (USA).
Pramod gauged the potential in the Indian mobile space way back in 2003. By the time he started operations in Oxigen (July, 2004), he was certain that the mobile handset would play a far more important role than just being a communication device in the hands of people and it would have a transformative impact on the lives of the masses of India. His vision was to cater to service fulfilment for the middle to low income classes in the country in their neighborhood, with a low margin and high volume oriented business model. This company thus started off with mobile recharges on its network and subsequently added more services to its bouquet with each passing year, such as DTH recharges, bill and subscription payments, air, rail, bus travel, entertainment subscriptions, online shopping and more.
Over the last few years, Pramod changed Oxigen's focus towards developing a nationwide infrastructure for easy access of financial services. He added Kiosk Banking as Business Correspondent (BC) to SBI, Mobile Money Wallets and Domestic money remittances to Oxigen’s portfolio, to develop, align & enhance Financial Inclusion, in line with the country's FI agenda.
This network and services portfolio has now grown to become the largest service aggregator and distributor for micro-payments and is unique as it is India's first company that digitized cash and distributed micropayments. Oxigen uses mobile and IT as the back bone to deliver value to the last mile generating 10,000 crore transaction value and 600 million annual transactions last year.
Pramod has successfully promoted many other business ventures, besides Oxigen,
- Chorus Call Conferencing Services India Pvt. Ltd., Founder, Investor & Chairman, India (a company setup as JV with Chorus Call Inc, USA). The company provides premium International AudioConferencing Video Conferencing, Audio & Video Media Streamlining and Collaboration Tools (ipresent & data prese) using the highest grade of technology. www.choruscall.com
- Oxigen Inc. USA, Principal Investor and Director. An online business to tap into the Non Resident Indian community, for the fulfilment of payments and remittances needs for their families in India, leveraging Oxigen India's local delivery platform. The company is based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA. www.oxigenusa.com
- Mpower Softcomm Pvt Ltd,Founder, India. MPower is a pioneer in providing Financial Transaction Solutions to the global Tier 1 customers in Financial Services, Retail, Utility Payments, Airtime and other Electronic Services Delivery.
- Sahyog Foundation, Sahyog Foundation Founder of Sahyog Foundation, an initiative in Corporate Social Responsibility by Oxigen Services (India) Pvt. Ltd. has been committed towards reaching out to the often-ignored masses of Rural India, and to ensure their inclusion in the financial landscape of the country, along with providing them with access to world-class healthcare and other fundamental necessities. Founded in Oct 2011 under the Indian Trust Act, Sahyog has been spearheading welfare and development activities in the fields of Healthcare, Education, Skill Development for the youth, and Women Empowerment projects, all across India. www.sahyogfoundation.in
- RUPEEGO, Mentor & Investor, RupeeGo provides collateral-free (unsecured) loans to small business owners and entrepreneurs who wish to grow their business. RupeeGo create financing solutions catering to the needs of micro businesses who may not be a part of traditional financial ecosystem. Neighborhood Kirana stores, stationers, eateries, chemists and other retailers can get a loan quickly and easily.
RupeeGo lending process is 100% digital and simple to complete. Customers can apply online, get an instant approval, complete their KYC and e-sign the loan agreement. RupeeGo partners with financial institutions to bring their customers into the financial mainstream.
- OutsiteVR, Mentor & Angel Investor, OutsiteVR is the world's first Virtual Reality experiential learning platform for architecture community. With this, users can experience fully immersive VR content of contemporary and historical buildings.
Mentor & Angel Investor, OutsiteVR is the world's first Virtual Reality experiential learning platform for architecture community. With this, users can experience fully immersive VR content of contemporary and historical buildings. www.outsitevr.com
- Kalaage, Mentor & Angel Investor, Kalaage is a platform connecting writers and publishers. Writers, globally, can write and share their work, articles, view etc. on any topic of their choice and also send it to various magazines and newspapers for direct publishing. Writers get published in their name in renowned publications and publishers get to take content from people on the topic of their choice and manage their entire operations. www.kalaage.net
- Green Grameen Micro finance Foundation, A small offshoot into the microfinance space was formed to address the dual objective of Poverty Alleviation by extending micro credit to people, who are otherwise unable to access finance from the mainstream banking channels and Women Empowerment. This was a 2 year experiment to understand microfinance services space can also be overlayed on Oxigen infrastructure.
- UNITUS SEED FUND, Pramod is a founding investor in Unitus Seed Fund, India's leading venture seed fund, supporting start-ups, innovating for the masses. This pioneering fund invests across healthcare, education, mobile commerce, retail & distribution, agriculture, water and energy sectors. It backs high-quality entrepreneurs in India who are creating disruptive businesses that are improving the lives of millions of India's low-income population.
Other investors in Unitus Seed Fund include Bill Gates, Vinod Khosla, Pramod Bhasin, Harsh Mariwala, Desh Deshpande, Hemendra Kothari, Ravi Venkatesan and other business leaders in India and The United States of America.
- IVYCAP VENTURES, IvyCap ventures is a venture capital fund which is build around the alumni ecosystem of premier educational institutes in India such as IIT and IIM. It invests in innovative ventures promoted by the alumni and also supports young entrepreneurs in building their businesses.
Pramod, as an alumnus of IIT Roorkee, is one of the anchor investors in IvyCap Ventures. He is also a mentor on the mentor board and advices the portfolio companies of IvyCap ventures. In his role as an anchor investor, Pramod has supported and provided guidance to the IvyCap team in building this fund. Besides 5% of the returns on the investment that he has made,he is committed to "give back program" which will be provided to support incubation activity in IIT Roorkee.
As a mentor to portfolio companies of IvyCap, he has mentored young companies and their entrepreneurs. He is also actively involved in shaping direction for the mobile, mobile commerce, and payment industry in his role as a mentor.
Blue Label Telecoms,Chief Executive Officer
Brett is the Co-founder and Joint Chief Executive Officer of Blue Label Telecoms Ltd, a Company incorporated in South African and listed on the JSE Limited. He has an impressive entrepreneurial history having founded and operated a number of small businesses in South Africa, from the early 1990's. During his career, Brett has been involved in a wide range of industries, including the distribution of fast moving consumer goods and insurance replacements for electronic goods.
His business achievements have seen him secure a number of prestigious nominations and awards, including the ABSA Bank Jewish Entrepreneur of the Year Award (2003) and the ABSA Jewish Business Achiever Non-Listed Company Award (2007), which he won jointly with his brother Mark Levy. Brett was nominated as an Ernst & Young World Entrepreneur SA Finalist for 2007.
Blue Label Telecoms,Chief Executive Officer
Mark is the Co-founder and Joint Chief Executive Officer of Blue Label Telecoms Ltd. He graduated with a B.Compt degree from UNISA in 1993. After initially taking up a position as a commodity trader in South Africa, Mark decided to pursue his goal of becoming an entrepreneur in earnest and has spent the past several years spearheading Blue Label Telecoms’ impressive growth in South Africa and its international expansion.
Together with his brother Brett Levy, Mark recently won the ABSA Jewish Business Achiever Non-Listed Company Award (2007). Mark was also nominated as an Ernst & Young World Entrepreneur SA Finalist for 2007
Joint Managing Director
Sunil Kulkarni is Oxigen’s Joint Managing Director and is in charge of Oxigen’s overall Business Operations, Business Development & Growth. His current focus is on growing revenues from business streams such as IOCL, Srei Sahaj, Insurance, Loyalty, and Smart Cities. Sunil is also the lead on Regulatory Compliances, and leads teams of Risk and Fraud, and is the Chairperson of the IS committee.
In 2004, Sunil, as a CEO, took charge of Oxigen Services (then known as India Prepaid Services Pvt Ltd). He and the Chairman, decided to launch in India’s first e-Distribution Network for mobile recharge coupons’ and its dispensation over Point of Sale (POS) terminals, PC and SMS.
Ever since, Sunil is synominously, referred to as the techno-savvy brain behind developing a successful business model, using Technology, for varied services & products, including Oxigen’s Mobile Wallet, which is an innovative payment mechanism and prepaid wallet accessible online/on-mobile. He successfully led the company's development & growth from a Recharges/BillPay company, to an integrated Branchless Banking & Payment Solutions company. He is also responsible for taking the company to its next greenfield opportunity in Domestic & International Remittances, Merchant Payments, Aadhaar enabled payments and Loyalty, to propel Oxigen into its next growth phase. He is active member of Payment Council of India and on board of Business Correspondence Federation of India (BCFI).
Sunil’s Milestones in Oxigen
- 2004 - Enabled recharge as e-Voucher on POS Terminal for all telcos.
- 2005 - Launch of e-Top up and bill payments in retail
- 2007 - Integration of DTH recharge
- 2008 - Oxigen Wallet (OxiCash) Platform & Technology Development and its Business Development with affiliates, JV with Microsoft, Roll out of IRCTC and Air Ticketing Oxigen Online Business Development
- 2009 - Business tie-up & Integration of White Label web services for all Banks
- 2010 - PPI License was issued
- 2011 - Kiosk Banking Business Correspondent tie-up with SBI & Service Delivery for SBI Freedom Mobile Application
- 2012 - SBI MobiCash Mobile App Service
- 2013 - Oxigen Money Transfer Service Integration with NPCI on IMP
- 2014 - Oxigen Aadhaar Integration and commercial roll out of India’s first eKYC provider for UIDAI for Aadhaar. Aadhaar based Cash Out Pilot for RBI; Oxigen Money Transfer Service, which becomes No.1, leading all Banks & Non-Banks for Q2; Oxigen Wallet becomes India’s First Wallet to connect with NPCI’s Merchant Payments System; Oxigen Money Transfer Service enabled at Muthoot retail outlets; Sign up with RBL Bank as BC
- 2016 - Launch of Virtual Visa Card, Assisted E-Commerce with Big Bazaar and Oxigen Super Service Agent using Micro ATM with RBL Bank; Federal Bank open Wallet launch for Remittance; DBS Bank eKYC first App only for Bank Account; Launch of Bharat Bill Payments Service; Future group launched Oxigen Powered Future Pay Wallet
- 2017 - Launch of AEPS and Aadhaar Pay and RuPay/VISA/MasterCard Payments on Micro ATM, Micro ATM solution for Cooperative Banks, Samsung Pay Integration on Oxigen Micro ATM, Oxigen Micro ATM supported by NABARD under Financial Inclusion Fund; Amazon Prepaid (Gift) card launched on app as well as on MicroATMs
- 2018 - Expands Micro ATM footprint at Indian Oil fuel stations; Launched ATM Card Cash out on MicroATMs for all cards and added major Gift cards like Flipkart, Uber, BookMyShow, BigBazaar on MicroATM Launched OEMS-Oxigen Expense Management Solution, a paperless Expense Management Solution with RBL Rupay Card linked to the Oxigen Wallet
Prior to joining Oxigen, Sunil served as General Manager-Marketing & Business Development in Motorola India’s Wireless Infrastructure business for 9 years. He looked after Business Development, Business Strategy and Product Marketing functions for GSM & CDMA wireless technologies. He started his professional journey in 1986 with Siemens Ltd., where he last served as the Head of Semi-Conductor Division.
As Sunil’s portfolio above suggests, it’s no surprise that he not only holds a Degree in Electronics & Communication Engineering, from MBM Engineering College, Jodhpur, but is also a Gold medallist.
LinkedIn Profile: View